Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tempeh Stir Fry

I was craving some Chinese food this week and wanted to make stir fry. I adapted this recipe from the Happy Herbivore Cookbook. It uses a sauce that is really good but I can't quite describe the flavor. I added tempeh and rice to the recipe. Tempeh is fermented soy and can be found in the health food section or a health food store, usually close to the tofu.Tempeh actually has more nutrients in tofu and is firmer so better to use in recipes like this one.

Ingredients (makes 2-3 servings)

1/2 cup uncooked or 1 cup cooked brown rice
2 cups water
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
8 oz tempeh, sliced 
1 head broccoli, chopped
1 tsp cornstarch
1 red bell pepper, chopped
Red pepper flakes to taste




Directions
First, start cooking the brown rice according to the package directions (usually takes about 45 minutes). Next, make your sauce by mixing the water, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, mustard, garlic, onion, ginger, and Worcestershire sauce. Add half of the sauce to a saucepan and turn on medium heat. While the sauce is heating up in the pan, cut up your vegetables and tempeh into strips. Place the tempeh and broccoli into the pan and simmer for a couple of minutes, mixing the contents. Add the cornstarch to the rest of the sauce and mix. Pour over the pan and then add the bell peppers and cooked rice. Note that you may want to delay the cooking until your rice is almost done. Keep mixing the ingredients in the pan until most of the moisture has evaporated. You want to end product to be creamy but not runny or dry. Finally, before serving, add red pepper flakes to add some spicy heat to the dish, if you want. Enjoy!

 
Do you have any good stir fry recipes? Share in the comments below!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lenka,
    While out in CA, I ate at a vegan restaurant named Adama in Santa Barbara. I highly recommend. Several items on their menu use "jackfruit." I had it as the base of tacos. Not sure how it would work in a stir fry but another alternative to tofu or seitan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katie! I looked up jackfruit and it seems interesting, I still don't get how a fruit tastes like meat! I'm going to look for it next time I go to Whole Foods and try to make something.

      Delete
  2. Very inviting dish! I think this is perfect for my everyday breakfast. I will add this to my favorite cook book. Thank you for sharing!

    Stir Fried Chicken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! The sauce is really good and then you can pretty much add any stir fry ingredients that you want.

      Delete

What do you think?