Sunday, December 29, 2013

2013 in review

2013 has been a year full of changes, most of them recent. I left my full-time job as a government researcher and now do blogging and consulting with my new venture, Nuclear Undone. I'm working from home and have gone through a love-hate relationship with crossfit and running. My workout routine is changing and I'm not sure quite yet what it will be come 2014, but I know it will involve running. I ran the most races I've ever run in a year (besides high school) in 2013. AND 5 out of 7 were new personal records! Granted, some were also distances I've never raced before. I'm getting faster at shorter races but still can't beat my high school half marathon time.


42:07 (8:25/mile)


1:16:17 (8:11/mile)

4:34:26 (11:00/mile)


51:45 (8:20/mile)

2:00:59 (9:14/mile)


32:50 (8:13/mile)


2:08:33 (9:48/mile)

The Chicago Marathon was of course the biggest running highlight of 2013. I made wonderful friends training with NTC Lincoln Park and fundraising for Bright Pink. I also beat my 2010 time but I still wasn't able to run the whole thing. I discovered pre-dawn running on the lakeshore and can say that I've seen the most beautiful sunrises in Chicago. 

20-miler with the NTC gals

Nike 4 by 1-mile Relay

Meeting Shawn Johnson at NTC Lincoln Park
NTC WinterFit

Morning runs along the lakeshore

Leading NTC Run Club on Friday mornings

My diet also changed a bit this year. I did Karyn's Raw Detox in March and have now incorporated many more raw foods into my diet, including spirulina, chlorella, rejuvelac, sprouts, etc. I've also decided not to be strict vegan and to enjoy non-vegan food once in a while, like cake or bacon. I still eat almost 100% vegan at home, but I'm more lenient at restaurants and parties so I don't feel like I'm missing out. I strongly believe that you can reap the benefits of a healthy plant-based whole-foods diet without being strict vegan all the time. 

CrossFit Monterrey with Grace

Lenka's Look at NTC Lincoln Park

6 am ladies at River North CrossFit

It was a great year for blogging, as well. I joined the Chicago Blogger Network and Chicago Running Bloggers earlier this year and made lots of online blogging friends that I've even met in person! More recently, I also joined the new Chicago Food Bloggers, Second City Food Wine + Social Club, and Windy City Blogger Collective. I've partnered with great companies to bring you awesome reviews, discounts, and giveaways. I started blogging exactly two years ago and I'm so happy with what this blog has turned out to be. Not only can I share my health and fitness journey with all of you, but I've also formed and online community, made "real-life" friends, and gotten a few perks from companies and races. Blogging also gave me the courage to start blogging professionally with Nuclear Undone. Thank you to all of my readers, followers, and fellow bloggers for your support!

Reviewing Ellie athleticwear

Windy City Bloggers social with Engineering In Style

Wine 101 with The Garden Apartment

What were your favorite moments of 2013?

What are your goals for 2014?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?