Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Mt. Batur Sunrise Trek

On my New Years trip to Bali, I had a lot of relax time by the pool but also wanted to do something adventurous. A week earlier, one of my other classmates did a sunrise trek on Mt. Batur and his pictures looked amazing (see the one below). So, we booked a trek with Bali Sunrise Trekking and Tours and got picked up at 1 am to head to the mountains.



Unfortunately, the day was overcast and the mountain was in the clouds so instead of the above view my friend sent me, we had the cloudy one below. We hiked up the volcano in the middle of the night and got to the top just as sun was starting to rise.


Once at the top, our guides made us breakfast, which included boiling eggs in the steam from the volcano. Warmed bananas, toast, and tea were also on the menu.



Next stop on the trek was to see and feed some monkeys! Apparently they enjoy the volcanic steam to warm up. (Although, it's warm in Bali all year around so I'm not sure why they don't just stay in the forest). 


On the way down we passed by an overgrown temple and then finally got out of the clouds to get a nice view of the nearby lake. Even though we didn't get to see the sunrise on top of the mountain, it was still a great trek and I recommend to anyone looking for adventure in Bali!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?