Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Raw Pesto Zucchini Noodles

Remember how I got a new vegetable spiralizer? Well, I've put it to some good use by spiralizing zucchini and trying some raw sauces. I made a raw marinara-type sauce but it didn't come out as good as I hoped. However, This spinach-walnut pesto sauce from Practically Raw by Amber Shea Crawley turned out to be delicious! First of all, I really like this cookbook and Chef Amber Shea. The recipes are "practically" raw so they can be adapted to be either cooked or raw and you don't have to have all of the raw food equipment. There are also substitutions listed for ingredients and not too many unfamiliar ingredients, which is great for people new to raw food, like myself.


Ingredients - 4 servings (recipe from Practically Raw)

1/3 cup dry walnuts
1 small clove garlic
3/4 tsp. sea salt
1 cup fresh basil
1 1/2 cups packed fresh spinach
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
2 Tbs. olive oil
2-3 Tbs. water
4 medium zucchini, spiralized



Directions
Combine the walnuts, garlic, nutritional yeast, and sea salt in a food processor and process until the walnuts are crumbs. Add the basil, spinach, lemon juice and olive oil and pulse until mixed. I used parsley instead of the spinach because I didn't have any on hand. Add water to the mixture until it is spreadable, I used 2 tablespoons. Add the pesto (see picture above) to the zucchini noodles. You can also use spaghetti squash or kelp noodles. I added kalamata olives and some pine nuts to my noodles, as well.

What's your favorite "raw sauce"?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?