Wednesday, May 14, 2014

BurnThis and Pilates ProWorks

Are you tired of a million different MindBody accounts and trying to keep track of all of your fitness classes? Me too. Well I was contacted by BurnThis to take a look at their new app and try some fitness classes and I must say that I am impressed! BurnThis works with studios to sign up and pay for all of your classes in one place, with one account. You can add classes to your calendar also connect with your Facebook friends and coordinate workouts. As a person who loves to vary my workouts and try new things, this app is perfect! BurnThis also has reviews and tips for each class/studio so you're prepared.

BurnThis is in twelve cities right now, including Chicago! Studios in the app in the Chicago area include Barre Bee Fit, The Bar Method, Sweat on State, Air, Exhale, and Pilates ProWorks. More are coming! Pilates ProWorks is having a great 50% off special right now at just $15 per class, so I decided to check it out!



Pilates ProWorks is a brand new studio in Lincoln Park on Halsted. To be honest, I thought a pilates class would be "easy" so I went last week, two days after my half marathon. Um, bad idea. The class was much tougher than I expected and I was still sore from running and then went to CrossTown Fitness the day after. That was rough, but anyway, I decided to give it another try this week without the soreness and it was still tough but I felt like I could keep my balance better without the leg soreness.

Pilates Pro is way more than pilates because of the FitFormer machine each person uses during class. It contains a suspended carriage with springs and band that allows for a large variety of movements with resistance. In the picture above, you can see that I'm doing a lunge by sliding my back foot backwards and moving the carriage back. There are spring connecting the carriage to the frame that you can adjust for resistance. I think this system forces you to have good form and use your core, because you will lose your balance otherwise, which did happen to me a couple of times. Have you ever done planks sliding up and down with discs under your feet? It's like that but harder. There are many core, leg, and arm/shoulder movements. We didn't do any of the same things between the two classes that I took and thus the 55 minutes went by really fast.


The Fitformer system looks complicated but will only take you 1-2 classes to get the hang of, and the instructors are very helpful (along with all of the mirrors to follow your classmates). I found this great video on YoutTube (below) that explains the class better than I can with pictures and words. Pilates Pro really is the next level of pilates and I think a great cross training option for anyone. My lower abs are sore, which doesn't happen often, so I know I'll be going back!


Pilates ProWorks also has other classes, including TRX, Barre, and private sessions. Like I said, the studio in Lincoln Park is brand new and their current special is $15 per class if you sign up through the BurnThis app. New clients also get a week free!

Do you practice pilates?

Don't forget to enter my Mamma Chia giveaway!

Disclaimer: This post is not sponsored but I did receive a complimentary Pilates ProWorks class from BurnThis in exchange for this review post. All text and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?