Thursday, July 4, 2013

Race Recap: Elmhurst 4 on the 4th

Happy Independence Day! This is one of my favorite holidays because I get to celebrate freedom and this amazing country! As a first-generation immigrant to the United States, I can truly appreciate the opportunities that this country has brought me and my family and I wouldn't want to have grown up anywhere else. Today is a day for us to reflect on our history and remember that we must continue to prosper by never giving up on our dreams.

Well, what better way to celebrate America than running a race with your friends? Some of us crossfit endurance enthusiasts from River North CrossFit and CrossFit Posted (pictured below) got together this morning to run the Elmhurst 4 on the 4th. It was a great 4-mile race just outside of Chicago. Some of us registered day of and it was super easy and only $30 dollars. There were about 1000 runners so the race was pretty low key and casual, which is a nice break from the huge races I usually do in Chicago. A well-run race and I would definitely do it again!

Jon, Nigel, and me from River North CrossFit in Chicago and Mac from CrossFit Posted in Brookfield, IL

I really haven't done a short race in a long time so I didn't have a goal time. My goal for my pace was to be under what I usually run during long training runs, which is 8:40 - 9:00 minutes per mile. As you can see in my results printout below, my pace was 8:13, which is great! The Nike+ graph also shows that I started pretty fast and then slowed down, but still held my pace around 8:30. I felt pretty good overall and even came in the top half in my age group (27 out of 64) and for women total (145 out of 466).

Print out results from the race

Friend me on Nike+!

After the race we drove back to RNCF and did the WOD! I kind of regret it because I was dying and now I'm exhausted. But, at least I had a great day of workouts and can enjoy the holiday.

WOD: 7 rounds with partner
4 wall walks
17 burpees
77 DU's
20 lunges (with barbell)
13 sumo dead lift high pulls
partner runs 200 m while other works

I did 45 pounds for the lunges and SDLHPs while my partner, Katherine, did 65 pounds. I also had to scale with pushups for the wall walks and bar hops for the DUs because I was just too worn out already. The time limit was 40 minutes and we got through 6 rounds plus some. I'm pretty sure the WOD was harder than the race this morning!

How are you celebrating the 4th of July?

Don't forget to enter my Elite Dark Chocolate giveaway!!

4 comments:

  1. Ahh! I was totally there this AM, too - although I was the slow, pregnant lady:) Congrats on an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, running a race while pregnant is awesome! Good job!

      Delete
  2. Fast fun time!! today was all relaxig and my birthday festivities of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy belated birthday! I hope you had a fun day!

      Delete

What do you think?