Saturday, July 6, 2013

Recipe: Natural Honey Limeade

I ran 7 miles this morning with the NTC Lincoln Park marathon crew and it was slow and painful, my legs still hurt from the Elmhurst 4 on the 4th race and WOD on Thursday. It was also quite warm this morning so I was craving something refreshing when I got home. My friend Kim made limeade when I visited her in Canada a couple weeks ago so I altered her recipe and made my own!

Usually lemon or limeade is made with a lot of white sugar, which, I admit, makes it taste amazing. But, you can make healthier limeade with natural sugars and still have that refreshing taste and reap the benefits of lemon or lime juice. This recipe is for limeade but I'm sure it would work just as well with lemons.


Ingredients
1 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice (takes about 7-8 limes)
5 cups filtered water
1/4 cup honey (or agave nectar)
1 Tbsp. coconut sugar (or other sugar)
ice to serve
Tequila optional :)

Directions
Squeeze the limes either by hand or with a citrus juicer until you get 1 cup of juice. In a large bowl or pitcher, mix the lime juice and water. While adding the honey to the bowl, mix vigorously. I used an egg beater to whisk the honey in the mixture. Then add the coconut sugar and mix again until dissolved. Serve over a cup of ice and you can place the rest in the fridge for later.


What's you're favorite refreshing summer drink?

Don't forget to enter my Elite Dark Chocolate giveaway!!

2 comments:

  1. I like unsweetened iced tea or coffee for general summer refreshers.
    a milkshake is always welcomed too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect margarita! We should make those when I move!!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?