Monday, April 14, 2014

Week 7 of Indy 500 Mini Marathon Training

Here's week 7 training for the Indy 500 Mini Marathon on May 3. This plan is an intermediate program with the hopes of getting a PR and finally beating my 1:55 half marathon time. I made this plan with the help of The Crew and Kate of The Four Percent.




Monday - short run
5.02 miles at 7:59 pace!
Today was just supposed to be an easy run to recover from the long run over the weekend but I ended up going out fast and staying that way. I'm actually pretty sure that this was my 5-mile PR, a week after the Shamrock Shuffle of course. I never run under 8:00. The reason might be is that Ryan said he would meet me after work at Chipotle at 6:30 pm and it was already 5:50 when I went out for the run. So I rushed to get my 5 miles in before dinner. So, maybe I should have Chipotle for dinner every night??

Tuesday  - HIIT at BAC
As I said last week, I'm trying to check out more of the classes at BAC because I'm just terrible at working out on my own at the gym. I thought HIIT would be a good one to try but we really didn't do HIIT. High-intensity short intervals are supposed to be something like 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest. And a real rest so that you can go all-out in the next set. But we did thinks like high knees for 30 seconds and running in place for 30 seconds, not really HIIT. There were some fun core movements where we passed medicine balls in a circle but I was not impressed with the class, overall.




Wednesday - Run
I met up with The Crew at Road Runner Sports for Girls Night Out. We did a 3 mile run (I ran there to tack on 2 more miles) and then there were some raffle prizes along with cupcakes and champagne. I also got to test out physical therapy from Delos Wellness. The therapist massaged out my tight ankle and it was both painful and good. 

Thursday - Spinning at BAC
Recovery before long run 


Friday - Long Run
12.1 miles at 8:47 pace
My legs were pretty tired during this run and I really didn't feel great. My calves and ankles hurt the most and it was a pain to finish. I did get the miles in though and greatly enjoyed the warmer weather we had in Chicago this weekend. It was beautiful on the lakefront (see above). I decided to take the rest of the weekend completely off to let my legs recover and the upcoming week will include only easy workouts. A recovery week in training can greatly help down the road. I also have the CARA Lakefront 10-miler this Saturday, so it will be good to rest up for it. Then, I'll go harder next week, and finally taper for a week.

Saturday + Sunday - Rest


What was your favorite/best workout last week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?