Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Leftover Quinoa Salad

I love quinoa! I don't know how I ever lived without it. Quinoa is a seed and a complete protein, meaning it contains all 9 essential amino acids. It's super easy to cook and has a versatile nutty rice-like flavor. I often make quinoa salad for lunch, check out my other recipe here. I had some leftovers this week from other recipes so I made this yummy quinoa salad for lunch to take to work.


Quinoa salad is super easy to make and there's really no one recipe for it. You can buy it in bulk at your health food store or in a box in the natural section of your grocery store or online. To cook quinoa, simply take 1 part quinoa and 2 parts water and boil until the water is soaked up (about 10-15 minutes). Then, just chop up your favorite veggies and add to the bowl! For the recipe in the picture above, I used celery, cucumber, carrot, red pepper, and kalamata olives. Then, add something "wet" to serve as a dressing. I added about 1/2 tbs. of olive oil, a tablespoon of hummus, and a squirt of lemon juice. Finally, add your spices like salt, pepper, red pepper, italian spice, etc. You're sure to have a tasty and easy to go salad!

Have you tried quinoa?

What recipes have you use quinoa in?

2 comments:

  1. I love your posts about quinoa, here is a recipe that I love!

    http://www.eatliverun.com/black-bean-quinoa-and-citrus-salad/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That recipe sounds really good! I'll try to make it soon while avocados are still in season.

      Delete

What do you think?