Sunday, September 1, 2013

Marathon Training Log: Week 12

I'm running the Chicago Marathon on October 13 to support Bright Pink. I'm tracking my progress so you can follow along. This week I ran 17 miles for my long run...which is my longest run to date besides the marathon I did in 2010.

My goal was to get 25% of my $1000 fundraising goal by the end of August and we did it! Thanks to everyone who has donated so far, it keeps me going forward with training.

Donate here!

Monday AM - CrossFit WOD
Pre-WOD: 1 Rep Max Thruster - 85 lbs. - new PR!
WOD: 5 Rounds
1 Frog Complex (40#)
10 Pull-Ups (blue band)
200 meter run
Time: 15:15
The Frog Complex is a movement I haven't done before: 5 rounds (unbroken) of squat clean to thruster to back thruster. I did a really light weight so I could do the whole movement unbroken...it was still difficult anyway! My arms were still sore from Rx pull-ups last week so I scaled those too. 

Monday PM - Run with Team Bright Pink
The run tonight was 7 miles but I cut it short at 5.5 miles because it was really hot and I was really hungry. I ran into Grace on the lakeshore path so we ran together for a bit. It helped take my mind off of the heat!

Tuesday PM - NTC Lincoln Park
First, we did a 45-minute NTC class with Kate and then has out marathon crew team huddle. We talked about mental motivation with a sports phsycologist. It was pretty interesting and I'll write a post about it.

Wednesday AM - CrossFit WOD
Pre-WOD: Max Clean and Jerk - 90 lbs.
WOD: 3 Rounds
15 Power Cleans (65#)
400 meter Run
Time: 10:59

Thursday AM - Spinning at R3
45-minute spin class with Katy! Great active recovery.

Friday AM - Rest Day
I was going to do a crossfit endurance track WOD but my legs were feeling tired and sore, so I took a rest day and layed at the pool instead to get ready for the run on Saturday.

Saturday - Long Run
17.2 miles
Time: 2:38:50
Pace: 9:14/mile
I was going to run with either the Bright Pink or NTC group this morning but I couldn't sleep. I've been having middle of the night insomnia, where I wake up after my first 4-hour sleep cycle and I'm wide awake and can't fall back asleep. This usually happens due to stress, but I'm not that stressed out so I don't know what's going on. Anyway, I couldn't fall asleep so I got out of bed around 3:45 am and decided to just go ahead and do my run! I ate a Mark Bar and drank my usual rejuvelac blended with Vega Pre-Workout Energizer and got out the door just after 4:30 am. This is called "predawn" running and some crazy runners, like my blogger friend Declan, do it all the time. It seems that the runners part of this crazy crew are usually ones with kids. So they get up and do their run before everyone else in the household wakes up. I must admit, it was pretty cool being out on the lakeshore path before dawn. I ran through River North/Michigan Ave. to get to Oak Street Beach. There were still some stray drunk groups leaving clubs and getting in cabs, looking at me funny. Then, I did actually see runners on the path. Chicago is well lit at night so I never felt unsafe and actually think it was safer as a runner because of the lack of traffic. I ran north just past Fullerton and then ran south for a while, turned around and went back along the river walk to Wacker and then back to River West. I felt pretty good until the last 5 miles. My legs were just tired. I was also really wet from the intermittent rain and really just tired of running. But I made it back home and got my long run in! I was tired for the rest of the day but finally got some good sleep Sunday night.



Unfortunately my iPod somehow ended the workout early so this doesn't show my last 2 miles. This happens sometimes and then I don't have the proper mileage logged in Nike+! I think I need new headphones because they disconnect from the iPod too easily. 


Sunday - Rest Day
I thought about doing yoga today but I woke up late, which is ok because I needed to catch up on sleep.


What was your favorite/best workout last week?

How are you spending your Labor Day weekend?

3 comments:

  1. Yay! you did a test run with the morning crew! I hope you decide to join us more often! It is fun to watch the stars, the people ending their night when you start your day. Most of the vagrants are still sleeping.
    Downside, most restrooms are still locked! Beware.


    Best work out last week.. Tuesday and Friday hard runs turned out to be the best results. Recovery days have been a toss up. Therapy feels great, but also makes running the next day harder.


    I spent the weekend cleaning mostly! Gotta get our place ready for people to look at and we are slowly packing to move out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you staying in the Chicago area?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yup! just moving like a mile away lol

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?