Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Common Cold Cure: Turmeric Milk

There actually is no cure for the common cold because it's just your immune system getting rid of unwanted toxins, shutting down, and basically saying F*** YOU. Colds are common during the winter months because your immune system is at a weaker state. Not getting enough sunshine, eating unhealthy "comfort" foods, and lack of activity also contribute to this. You can stay healthy all winter long, and even boost your immune system to fight off the flu if you contract the virus.

Some ways to strengthen your immune system in the winter include:

Sometimes, I feel a cold coming on with a sore throat and/or runny nose so I immediately take every single healthy supplement in my kitchen, take the day off from working out, and get enough sleep. I only got sick once this winter and well, it's the worst winter that I've ever lived through so I'm not surprised. However, I used to be the person that was sick all winter long and that no longer happens so I think the above steps are helping.

Green tea and honey is great for a sore throat and as an immune booster, but I recently tried turmeric milk and it did wonders. Turmeric is prevalent in Indian cuisine and they say it helps slow aging and even prevent cancer. You can easily add it to your daily meals because the taste is quite mild, despite the bright color. I thought the milk would taste disgusting but it was actually not that bad and made my throat feel better immediately.





Healing Turmeric Milk

Ingredients
1 cup almond or coconut milk
1 tsp honey or agave nectar
dash of cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
dash of ginger
dash of black pepper
drop of vanilla extract

Directions
Add milk to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and stir in the rest of the ingredients. The spices, besides turmeric, are optional for taste, but they have their own healing powers. Black pepper helps the absorption of turmeric. Add more honey or agave if it's too bitter. Drink up while warm!


What are your natural tips for fighting the common cold?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?