Friday, December 14, 2012

Thai Curry Soup

I went to Noodles last week and was surprised at how many vegetarian options they have. However, they're not all that healthy because of the noodles, ironically. I had the pad thai and thai curry soup, and I really like the soup. I haven't had soup that good at actually thai places so I'm not sure what their secret ingredients are, but it is really good. Anyway, it inspired me to make my own thai curry soup. The spices in curry, like turmeric, have unique health properties, including anti-aging properties. Curry is not usually spicy-hot so I added cayenne pepper. I looked up some recipes online and combined them more or less to make the following:

Taking good pictures of soup is so hard...
 
Ingredients
2 oz brown rice noodles (linguine or pad thai, find in Asian or gluten free section)
32 oz. carton of veggie broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp lemon grass, minced (my grocery store didn't have lemon grass so I used 2 tbsp. of lemon juice instead)
1 tsp. grated or ground ginger
3 tsp. red curry paste
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. agave nectar
1 can reduced fat coconut milk
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
4 tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
1/4 cup cilantro
6-oz baby spinach leaves

Directions
Cook the noodles separately according to package directions. Meanwhile, add about 1/2 cup of the veggie broth to a large saucepan. There should be about a 1/2-inch layer of the broth covering the whole bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer on low heat. Add the garlic, lemon grass (if using), and ginger and saute for about 1 minute. Stir in the rest of the broth and the curry paste. Once, the paste is dissolved, add the soy sauce, agave nectar, and lemon juice (instead of the lemon grass). Let simmer for 20 minutes, covered. Add the coconut milk, mushrooms, and cayenne pepper and bring back to a simmer. Add the rest of the ingredients, including the cooked noodles, and simmer for about 5 more minutes. Serve warm!

What is your favorite Thai recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?