Thursday, August 1, 2013

Being healthy is simple

I get really annoyed sometimes with all of the "10 steps to perfect abs" and "secrets to being thin" propaganda that is posted on Twitter and Pinterest all the time. I can't say that I don't click on the links, but when it comes down to it...being healthy is actually quite simple.

We are all smart people that have been sucked into a society that embraces unhealthy habits. We are constantly bombarded with advertisements for unhealthy food. And then advertisements for how to counteract that unhealthy food at the gym. And on top of that, our role models in the media are people who's job it is to look good, and we are constantly comparing ourselves to them.



The reality is that there is no "trick" to being healthy, or thin, or fit. It's simply about making smart choices everyday. You know which foods are better or worse for you. I do a lot of research on food and different diets, but they all come down to two things...eat less processed foods and a lot more vegetables. As for working out, it doesn't matter how you do it as long as you stay active throughout your life. Sitting all day is obviously not good for you. Whatever will get you off the couch is what's good for you. I work out a lot because I'm training for a marathon and because I enjoy it. You really only need 30 minutes of activity a day (including brisk walking) to be healthy and drastically reduce your risk of preventable diseases.

So stop falling for diets and don't get intimidated by workout regimens. Just make your own food, eat lots of veggies, and get off the couch.

4 comments:

  1. Lindsay_thegardenaptAugust 2, 2013 at 7:58 AM

    I love this! I couldn't agree more. I think the "being healthy" is overshadowed by "body image" issues. I keep on telling myself that if I'm eating foods that give me energy and make me feel healthy plus workout regularly, I'm doing all that my body and health can ask of me,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easiest line I've read from fitness forums on the repeat threads on - How do i get great abs? Abs are made in the kitchen.


    And realize that just because you burned 300 calories, it doesn't mean you can eat 900 more!
    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, nutrition and staying active should be about being healthy but it's easy to fall into the rut of body image issues, especially when you're comparing yourself to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, abs are made in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?